Hear from a $65M Seller

On today’s eCommerce Fast Track conference call, we talked about some really cool stuff!

The first item discussed was a Reddit AMA from a $65 million dollar seller by the name of BuyBoxer. I haven’t read the entire thread yet, but you can bet I’m going to! One take away was that this company is spending $1,500/mo for Keep a data.

You can bet I’d like to better understand how they are using this data and I’m planning to dig into it. If you have thoughts on how they are using it, reply in the comments, ok?

After that, we talked at length about the anatomy of a discovery call with a prospective brand. How to start the call, what to say, questions to ask, etc…

Making sure you are scheduling as many of these calls as you can (from the replies you receive) is absolutely critical to your success. If you are new, doing these calls will give you practice…and then once you have been doing them for a while, you will start winning more accounts.

As proof of that, earlier this week, I was speaking with the sales rep who works for a friend’s Amazon business, and she told me that if she can schedule a call with a brand that says, “we don’t want any more Amazon sellers”, that she can win the account 80-90% of the time. The big lesson here is this: GET ON THE PHONE at every chance you can.

Next, we talked about two new podcast interviews that are going to be published in the next few weeks (http://brightideas.co/273 and BI 274: Why Single Click Ad Measurement is Like Running Blind with Scott Desgrosseilliers - Bright Ideas for eCommerce Entrepreneurs). In these interviews, I learned a great deal about Google Tag Manager, why it is important, and how to use it, plus something called attributed revenue.

Why should you care about this stuff? Simple. The more you know about digital marketing, the better off you are when it comes to being able to have intelligent conversations with brands…and the inevitable outcome of your making a very positive first impression on brands is that they will want to do business with you, if for no other reason than to get access to your brain.

Be smart. Win accounts.

Have thoughts or comments about this post? Please reply.

Want to get in on the next conference call? Join the EFT today.

6 Likes